Week 3

This week I put most of my effort into research what exactly a stigma is and how stigmas are created. I also gained feed back on my new how might we question and areas which I see opportunities.

A really interesting point that was mentioned was the idea that people tend to see their own skin a lot worse than anyone else does. I think this is an idea I would like to explore more through my primary research.

Another big impact which was mentioned that I am already quite aware of, is the idea that media plays a large impact in stigmatising communities as it is the representation we see which subconsciously defines our version of normal.





I found the above chart extremely useful in all of the aspects that can contribute to the formation of a stigma. I also found it really interesting to note the way languaging can also contribute to a stigma, for example saying "acne is beautiful", implies that it wasn't in the first place. Whereas saying "all skin is beautiful" does just that.
It was also really interesting to distinguish the difference between a public stigma and a self stigma, because although there is some public stigma surrounding acne, ultimately it is a self stigma we experience the most, which impacts our behavioural response. This is again something I would like to explore further into in my primary research. 


I additionally decided to research more indepth into the above visual precedent. Before getting the lowdown on what it actually is that causes acne. Having worked at mecca I knew all of this already, but it was a really good chance to solidify my knowledge and recognise the large part which is hormones are so often the cause of acne and therefore that acne someone is experiencing isn't always treatable, which is why the support of those around them is so important. 




Comments